Saturday, November 1, 2014

Thankful November

So I'm gonna do the super cheesy "thankful November" that everyone does in November on Facebook but I'm gonna do it here. Check this post regularly to find out what I'm thankful for!!

November 1: I'm thankful for motivation. Without it, I wouldn't have gotten in an amazing hour long workout today and I definitely wouldn't be where I am today with it. Sometimes it is hard to get it going, but once it's there, it's amazing.

November 2: I'm so so grateful for all facets of law enforcement.  The sacrifices that they make, and sometimes the ultimate sacrifice, really make me feel safe and protected.  Of course, I'm slightly biased because I've had the privilege to know many of them personally, but I really do believe that they are some of the greatest people out there.  

November 3: I'm thankful for courage. Courage to stand up for yourself. Courage to ask the hard questions. Courage to say you need help. Courage to make a change in your life. Courage to look fear in the face and say "not today". Whether it's myself, my loved ones, or my students, courage is a trait I admire in every person that exhibits it. 

November 4: I'm thankful for technology, specifically cell phones. Without them, my best friends and I would not be able to keep in touch like we do, Mo and I wouldn't be able to talk each night, and my family and I wouldn't be able to talk football as much as we do. As much as I sometimes hate to admit it, phones have become a part of our culture-connecting is with loved ones over great distances. 

November 5: Massages.  Need I say more?  My roommate and I agreed to spoil ourselves and get massages.  There's just something about not having to worry about work, relationships, family, or anything else and just focus on relaxing.  I wish I could make it a monthly thing, but every few months is better than nothing!

November 6: I'm thankful for my bed.  Knowing that its there all the time, ready to welcome me and keep me warm while I drift off to dreamland.  I love my bed.  And I'm horribly exhausted this week as I've been battling a cold and been busy.  I just can't wait to get home to it already.

November 7: I'm thankful for the accessibility of transportation.  Being able to travel as freely, and inexpensively when you really think about it, as we do is so wonderful.  Getting to take a weekend trip away, to recharge the batteries, spend time with loved ones, and support each other is something I love doing.  

November 8: I'm thankful for ultimate. It has brought our family together in ways I never thought imaginable.  It's forced us to celebrate the wins, and learn from the losses together.  I've gotten to travel to many different places that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to go to.  Ultimate has given my brothers lifelong friends and my family something unique to rally around.

November 9: I'm thankful for words.  Words that comfort, words that celebrate, words that express feelings, words that express sorrows.  Sometimes, there are words you hear that you didn't even know you wanted or needed to hear.  Sometimes there are words that are shared that just make you smile.  Sometimes there are words, simple words, that mean the most.  Sometimes, though, there are just no words.

November 10: I'm thankful for Netflix.   Without it, I'd struggle to fall asleep each night, I wouldn't have been introduced to so many great shows or movies and the many hours of overnights would have drug on even more than they already did. For just a few bucks each month, I love having access to so many great resources (yes, I've used it in my classroom) or mindless white noise. 

November 11: I'm thankful for all veterans.  There are no other words that would even come close to describing my gratitude for all they, and their families, have sacrificed for our freedom.

November 12: I'm thankful for that boyfriend of mine.  He celebrates my joys with me, and loves me even more on my crappy, cranky days.  He always seems to know what to say to make me smile or laugh so hard I cry.  He has filled my life with so much joy and happiness.  He truly challenges me every day to be my best and try even harder.  I've never had someone make me want to be a better person as much as he has.  I could go on and on about how he makes me feel, and why I keep him around, but I won't bore you with things you can read elsewhere. Or here

November 13: I'm thankful for my students.  They always seem to know what to say to make me smile, laugh, or remember why I chose this career.  They know when to work hard (usually) and are learning to ask for help.  

November 14:  I'm thankful for people who nerd out about personality stuff just as much as I do.  If you remember, I wrote a post about love languages and then I read the post linked above and didn't feel so vulnerable and weird for loving personality tests.  Anytime someone shares your passion for something as much as you do, it's a great feeling.  When you don't even know that person?  It's just a bit cooler!

November 15: I'm thankful for amazing friends.  The ones who suck it up when they're not feeling the greatest, but know it's important to you.  The ones who celebrate things they don't fully understand.  The ones who tell you like it is, but in the most loving and caring way possible.  The ones who look out for you, all the time.  

November 16: I'm thankful for birthdays.  There were 2 very important birthdays.  First, my youngest brother, Daniel, turned 21!!! Second, my nephew, Frank Richard Tarasi, was born at 9:59 PM.  All are doing well and recovering (In different ways).  Birthdays are always such exciting times and allow us the opportunity to stop and think about how different our life would be without that person.   I'll have a follow-up post of Daniel's birthday in a few days, when I'm done recovering from the weekend myself.

November 17: I'm thankful for wonderful co-workers who try to make life easier when you're not feeling 100%.  Who hug you when you've had a rough day.  Who jumpstart your car when your battery is dead.  Who celebrate the smallest victories, because they understand just how much it means for that one student.  

November 18: I'm thankful for quiet time.  After an insane weekend like I had, I've enjoyed having some quiet, alone time, just to read, watch Netflix, sleep, clean, and waste time how I see fit.  Yes, there's always work I could be doing, but sometimes, you just have to stop, take a deep breath, and enjoy the peace and quiet.

November 19: I'm thankful for sleep. I'm STILL trying to recover from this weekend, while anticipating the upcoming weekend.  Being able to go to bed at 9:30 PM and wake up at 5:40 is so nice.  After the amount of sleep deprivation I caused my body throughout college and the past 2 years of dispatching, I've learned how precious sleep really is.

November 20: I'm thankful for Christmas.  Peppermint cookies.  Happy music.  Rumchata and hot chocolate.  Sweaters.  Pretty lights.  Giving presents.  Traveling.  Family.  This is the earliest I've ever started to decorate for Christmas and I think I might continue using Daniel's birthday as my limit. Starting earlier allows me to celebrate longer and it builds the anticipation.  

November 21: I'm thankful for Fridays.  I really do love my job, but I really do love the break from it that I get during the weekend.  I get the opportunity to recharge my batteries, relax, and cross things off my personal to-do list.  I think the weekend gives me the ability to appreciate my kiddos that much more because I'm able to take care of myself over the weekend so I can better serve them.

November 22: I'm grateful for friends who are willing to make the effort.  Friends who are willing to maintain friendships through text, phone calls, and Facebook messages.  All of my closest friends live over 100 miles away from me.  Yet, we're all able to maintain those friendships because we recognize their importance and value our friendship.

November 23: I'm thankful for children.  They say the funniest things, do the cutest things, and are still innocent and genuine in everything they say.  I wish I could preserve their innocence and share it around the world.  Their perceptions, thoughts, and beliefs are things the world could benefit from.

November 24: I'm thankful for justice.  

November 25: I'm thankful for safety.  Being able to sleep last night, knowing I was safe, my school was safe, my car was safe, my family and loved ones were safe was huge.  No, I didn't sleep the greatest because I wasn't convinced my officers were all safe but I was still able to sleep.  I'm grateful for the ability to live in a safe neighborhood, have people willing to protect me, and having the knowledge and skills necessary to protect myself.

November 26: I'm thankful for snow plows.  They keep the roads cleared, dry, and ice free, no matter what the conditions are or how scary the roads may be.  

November 27:  I'm thankful for Thanksgiving.  Easily one of my favorite holidays, being surrounded by family, food, and football.  

November 28: I'm thankful for babies.  Unconditional love, adorableness, and endless cuddles.

November 29:  I'm thankful for football.  It has brought my family together, and brought a unique aspect to my relationship and some friendships that I am so grateful for.


November 30: I'm thankful for the month of November.  With Thanksgiving, it finally being fall, and the countdown to Christmas, I'm pretty sure it's one of my favorite, if not my only favorite, month of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment