I feel like an absolute waste of space. Yes, I type this as I'm in the beginning of 5 overnights over the course of 6 days. I've never been good at laying around. Whether it's on the couch, in bed, wherever (unless it's the beach-I could lay on the beach for DAYS!!). I think that's part of the reason why I booked myself so much in June. I'm a busy body, and I like to be. Don't get me wrong, by the end of it, I was done. I wanted my bed and to do nothing but sleep. But after a few days of that, I was bored and looking for adventure.
I'm ready for school to start. A teacher who wants summer vacation to end?!??!?!? Yes, they do exist. We spend all summer thinking about our classrooms and the changes we'll make that we're ready to implement those ideas and changes by the end of summer. I'm ready to have a purpose back in my life. Yes, dispatching fills my time, and gives me nice paychecks every now and then, but it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. More and more throughout the summer, as things in my life and things at the PD have changed, the less I've enjoyed my time there. Sure, it's a great time to do "clerical" things I need to do- already tonight, I've filled out my passport application, updated my personal calendar, and filled out all my paperwork for my new job- but it isn't fulfilling. I've sent officers on one (yes, 1) call in the almost 7 hours I've been working. The phone has rang maybe 5 time, 2 of those being an officer. That's not fulfilling. (Fun fact: from the hours of about 2 AM-5:30 AM, no one does anything on Facebook-it's terrifying).
I love being a teacher, I really do. And I love having 2 months off in the middle of the year to go on any adventure I want (and my wallet will allow). But I look forward to the purpose that the school year will provide!
I completely understand. I'm waiting for my contract to start again when the grant gets approved. The apartment has never been cleaner, the dog is getting many short training sessions during the day and I've been baking up a storm. But I can't wait to get back to work.
ReplyDeleteHope your last week is amazing!